Tue, 22nd Nov, 2016
We are inviting schools to come and enjoy our next exhibition The Queen, The Chairman and I by Kurt Tong. The exhibition is a fascinating journey into the family history of Kurt Tong. Drawing on his Chinese, Hong Kong and British connections, the exhibition combines new large-scale photographs, alongside heirloom photographs and rare colour film footage from the 1940s. Central to the exhibition is a contemporary Chinese teahouse installation where visitors are invited to drink tea, read Tong’s artist book, and share their own family stories.
Who Are We: Digital animation and craft workshop for schools
This workshop takes pupils on a journey around our current exhibition The Queen, the Chairman and I. In the first part of the workshop pupils will have the opportunity to explore Chinese culture by taking part in Chinese craft activities. Pupils will then visit the contemporary Chinese Tea House where they will have the opportunity to taste authentic Chinese tea while taking part in interactive discussions about their own families.
In the second part of the workshop pupils will be given a range of images and words to inspire them to think about their own identity and who they are. Using the material they have selected pupils will then work in a team using a digital camera and film editing software to create their Who Are We digital animation. Pupils’ work will be projected in the gallery in the final part of the session, and can be sent to teachers on request.
Curriculum areas: Art and Design, English, History, Citizenship
This workshop supports pupil’s social, moral cultural and spiritual development through discussions around the exhibition practical workshops and teamwork. Pupils will:
• Learn about the artist and their artistic work
• Explore issues of culture and identity
• Use a range of techniques including craft and filmmaking .
• Produce creative work and explore ideas
• Develop critical skills to analyse and evaluate their own work
Arts Award: This workshop can be used to support Part B of Discover Arts Award Find Out, or Part B of Bronze Arts Award Explore The Arts as an Audience Member
• This workshop is available until 18 March 2017
• Workshop cost £80+VAT
• The session time is 2 hours long.
• Maximum 35 students per session.
• We advise booking at least two weeks in advance
• Contact Jennifer Sobol, Learning Co-ordinator to book your workshop email email@example.com tel: 01274 737843
• Special workshop price for Artsmark schools of £64+VAT (20% discount on our standard offer usually £80+ VAT)